Tips for winterizing your garage
The low cold temperatures here in Columbus and Central Ohio have been for the most part, mild until lately. Well, we can’t forget that polar vortex at Christmas! Now that we are going into the end of January, we have experienced much lower temperatures in the 20-30’s.
I hope you have winterized your garage and areas outside your home.
It is always good to double check to ensure you have cover all the areas of your home that will be exposed to the much colder temperatures in winter.
Concrete services especially your patio and your driveway can be affected by freezing and thawing cycles during winter. It’s important to keep snow clear and promptly remove ice to prevent damaging the concrete. It’s good to know that D icing chemicals can be damaging so be careful if you absolutely have to use that type of product. it’s also good to make sure that you’ve sealed your driveway prior to these colder temperatures. Start that concrete driveway improvement project in late fall with Free Flow Builders LLC.
Here are some tips to help winterize your garage:
- Insulate the walls and ceiling of the garage. This will help keep the space warm and prevent cold air from entering the living areas of your home.
- Seal any cracks or gaps in the walls or doors of the garage to prevent drafts. This can be done using caulk or weatherstripping.
- Check and repair any damage to the roof of the garage, such as missing or broken shingles, to prevent leaks during the winter.
- Install a garage door weather stripping to prevent drafts and keep out the cold.
- Disconnect and drain any hoses or sprinkler systems to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
- Store any garden tools, lawn equipment, or other outdoor items in a dry, heated space to prevent rust or damage.
- Consider installing a space heater or electric heater in the garage if it is not already heated.
- Make sure to keep the garage door closed as much as possible to keep the cold air out and the warm air in.
- Keep the garage floor clean and dry, Sweep and clean it up any debris or oil spills, to prevent slip and fall accidents.
If you have discovered any damage that needs attention, consult one of our professionals at Free Flow Builders, LLC. Call Today 614-238-9742